Dr Shankar was trained in Neurosurgery at the prestigious Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore situated in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu. After serving his alma mater as a lecturer in the same department for a year, he left to form the Neurosurgical department at the newly founded Lakeshore Hospital in Kochi, in Kerala. He was instrumental in designing the department, laying out procedures and protocols and ordering instruments and setting up the operating theatre for Neurosurgery.
In 2003, he joined Century Hospital in Chengannur, in south Kerala, where he worked as a consultant before moving on to the Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences (now renamed as Aster MIMS) in Kozhikode, in the year 2005.
The Neurosurgical work at the Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences comprised of both emergency and elective surgeries for the full spectrum of trauma, brain and spine surgeries. The Department possessed all standard neurosurgical equipment such as the microscope, endoscope, stereotactic apparatus, intra-operative neurophysiological monitoring system and high speed drill. The major surgeries performed here included aneurysm clipping, excision of skull base tumors, spine tumor surgery and craniofacial surgeries (along with the Plastic Surgeon). He headed a department with two other qualified Neurosurgeons and paramedical staff.
In 2013 he moved to his current position at NMC Specialty Hospital in Abu Dhabi, where he is employed as a consultant Neurosurgeon.
- MBBS from Government Medical College, Kozhikode, India, in 1993.
- MCh from CMC Vellore in 2002
- MBA in Hospital Management from Annamalai University in 2012
- Fellowship of European Board of Neurological Surgery in 2016
Dr Shankar is currently registered with the Travancore Cochin Medical Council in India as a Neurosurgeon and with the Department of Health (Abu Dhabi) as well as the Dubai Health Authority as a Consultant Neurosurgeon
- Clinical Fellowship in skull base and vascular surgery, Fujita Health University, Nagoya, Japan, September-December 2004.
- Life Member Neurological Society of India
- Life Member NSI, Kerala Chapter
- Life Member Calicut Neurological Society
- Life Member Indian Medical Association
- Life Member of Indian Society for Trauma and Acute Care
- International Vista Member, Congress of Neurological Sciences, USA
- International member, European Association of Neurological Sciences.
- He was an instructor in BLS and ACLS courses conducted by the American Heart Association from 2007 to 2015.
- He is an active instructor in ATLS course conducted by the American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma.
- He has served as a member of investigation committees of the Dubai Health Authority
- He has peer reviewed articles for prominent journals such as BMJ Ophthalmology and Indian Journal of Neurotrauma.